In modern times, staying physically fit is highly rated; everyone wants the best physique but many persons are not willing to pay the price to get what they earnestly desire.
Let’s face it; we all have an idea of that ideal body type in our minds and we say we want to get it at all cost, yet we have constantly ignored the easiest and healthiest way to achieve our dream appearance.
Here are a few floor exercises that help you burn calories and lose excess fat.
1. V-sit crunches
Also known as V- ups, this is one exercise that works on both your upper and lower abdomen together; giving you a dual health effect. This exercise helps to build core strength, improve trunk balance and help maintain good posture. There are so many benefits to V- Sit crunches but let us look into how to do this exercise
- Get into a seating position with your hands and feet on the floor
- Get into a seating position with your hands and feet on the floor
- Lie on your back, wrap your arms along your body and straighten your legs
- Lift your back and legs from the floor, squeeze your abdomen as you lift your lower body (you should appear in a 45-degree angle)
- Return to your original position slowly while holding your body stiffly
- and your abs tight (try not to get to the floor, just lower your body as much as possible but don’t put your leg back to the floor)
- Do this again as many as 15 to 20 times
2. Donkey kicks
Named after the position you take when doing this exercise, Donkey kicks are relatively easy and they give you results before you know it. When done correctly, this exercise works on your glutes muscle, your knees, legs, and back.
Here is how to get started on your donkey kicks :
- Get on all fours, straighten your hands on the floor under your shoulders
- Keep your back straight and flat; flat enough to measure with a tape rule or place a cup on
- While on your knees, slowly raise your bent legs one after the other up towards the ceiling
- Don’t allow your back arch as you lift your leg; your limit is just before your back starts to bend
- Do the same thing on both legs and lower your body as much as possible when resting in between lifting your legs.
3. Bridge exercise
This exercise targets your lower muscles, abs, and thigh and can achieve spinal stabilization if carried out consistently. It improves your overall muscle strength and posture. Here is how to do the bridge exercise.
- Lie on your back and place your hands on your sides, keep your knees bent and place your feet flat on the floor under your knees
- Tighten your abdominal muscles
- Raise your hips to put your body in a straight line from your knees up to your shoulder
- Pull your belly button in as far as possible towards your spine
- Hold this position for a while and return to your original position
- Repeat this at least 10 times at a sitting.
You can change the position of your hands or try single leg bridges to work all parts of your muscles.
Plank is one exercise that is targeted at losing body fat; it is beneficial for burning fat around your abdominal area and is one of the best exercises for losing belly fat. Apart from reducing belly fat, planks also work on building your muscles, strengthening your abs and gives you a perfectly toned body.
Here is how to do planks :
- Lie in a straight line from your head to your toes (use a mat)
- place your elbows on the floor under your shoulder (you can use your palms if you can’t rest properly on your elbows)
- keep your body rod straight and avoid bending your lower back
- straighten your neck and spine by looking further beyond your hands
- rest for a bit and do this again for as many times as you can
- Avoid overstressing yourself; stop once your body is tired.
5. Side lying leg lifts
This simple exercise has been recommended by the National Institute on aging as one that can build your hip, buttock and thigh muscles. Its main focus is the lower body and it works with most of your lower muscles to enhance posture, flexibility and limb speed.
Here is how to do the Side-Lying Leg Lifts exercise :
- Place a mat on the floor and get a towel to support the side you will lay on the floor
- Lie on your side in a straight line from your head to your toe (support your head slightly with one arm if necessary)
- Slowly raise your leg that isn’t resting on the floor; raise it as high as possible
- Maintain this position for as long as you can and bring your leg down slowly (don’t allow both legs touch; maintain some distance between them)
- repeat the process for as many times as possible
- inhale and exhale slowly as you perform this exercise
- Maintain upright posture all through; if it feels too easy then you might be cheating.
Don’t arch your back and maintain proper posture during this exercise.
6. Shoulder stand
This exercise is used to strengthen the neck, spine and other major muscles in the body. It stimulates the abdominal organs, reduces fatigues and provides relief from health issues like asthma, insomnia, infertility and the likes.
Shoulder stand also boosts metabolism, improves digestion and strengthens the abdominal muscles. This is how to do a shoulder stand
- Start in a sitting position then lie flat on your back with your knees bent
- Place your hands under your lower back for support and lift one leg up
- Maintain the same position and lift your other leg slowly to prevent an accident
- Straighten your knees and keep your legs high up
- At this point, your back should be straight with your legs pointed to the ceiling
- Continue to support your waist or lower back with your hands for as long as possible
- Gently ease your legs down when you want to get some rest.
The shoulder stand is a great exercise to use to relax and relieve anxiety, so it’s better to perform it at the end of your workout.
7.Happy Baby Pose
This exercise does wonders for your inner thigh, inner groin, back, chest, shoulders, and hips. It is more of relaxation after a workout but it works on your body even as you relax.
This exercise is recommended to calm your body, relieve you from stress and fatigue and also aid flexibility.
Here is how to replicate that happy baby pose for good health
- Lie on your back and relax your spine
- Bring your knees up towards your chest; try to keep your hips down while your knees move up
- Bring both knees together slowly and make sure your toes are touching each other
- Hold this position for about a minute while taking deep breaths
- Do this repeatedly for as many times as you can.
Exercise plays a major role in losing excess weight, achieving and maintaining physical fitness. Combine the above floor exercises with good and healthy nutrition and you are on your way to getting that dream body and living the healthy life you deserve.